Aerial Video of Crooked Spire Crooked Spire Aerial View

Rise-Above-It Aerial Video & Photography

Green + Benz scoop coveted Chesterfield Retailer of the Year title

Destination Chesterfield Retail Awards 2016 at the Winding Wheel, Chesterfield. 25th May 2016
Destination Chesterfield Retail Awards 2016 at the Winding Wheel, Chesterfield. 25th May 2016

Only six months after opening its new flagship store, Green + Benz has scooped the coveted title of Retailer of the Year at the 2016 Chesterfield Retail Awards.

Green and Benz was among 14 Chesterfield retailers to scoop one of 18 prestigious awards, which are organised by Destination Chesterfield.

The awards which returned for the third year running were the biggest yet and saw four retailers – Adorn Jewellers, R P Davidson Cheese Factor, Libby’s and Debenhams, retain their 2015 titles.

As well as Retailer of the Year, Green + Benz also took the title of Best New Store following the relocation of its Chesterfield store on Glumangate to120sqm of premium retail space on South Street in December last year.

The increased space means Green + Benz can accommodate an open shop floor, a private viewing room and a workshop for bespoke commissions. Inside, the store boasts luxurious leather and velvet upholstery, glittering chandeliers and individual branded display bays which are framed by polished chrome edge details and numerous mirrors, which all adds to the overall sense of glamour of the store. Figures for Green + Benz showed a 68% overall growth in prior year sales results in December 2015 following the opening of the new store.

Manager of the Chesterfield store, Abi Noakes was presented with both awards at the sell-out award ceremony, which was held at the town’s Winding Wheel venue and hosted by Peak FM breakfast show presenters Cat and Stu.

Abi said: “We’re so overwhelmed and very proud and happy to receive the awards. It means so much that the awards have come from Chesterfield and everybody in Chesterfield. We really try and strive to make our clients ultra-happy and give them the best service that we can.”

Peter Swallow, Chairman of Destination Chesterfield said: “Once again the retail awards were a huge success and highlighted how strong Chesterfield’s retail scene is. The town has an excellent mix of independent and high street retailers as well as an historic market and a key reason why so many people, locally and nationally, visit each year. It’s a winning mix that consistently sees Chesterfield buck the trend for shop vacancy rates, contributing significantly to our growing economy.”

The winners of the 2016 Chesterfield Retail Awards are:

Excellence in Customer Service – Sponsored by Chatsworth
Adorn Jewellers

Daffodils in Spital

Daffodils in Spital
Picture courtesy of Les Elson.

All the good work by David Shelton and his merry band of followers has come to fruition in Spital Cemetery. As spring approaches the daffodil bulbs planted last year punctuate the lawns with their splash of colour.

Many, many hours of hard work by many people, all of whom deserve our praise and thanks, has been worth it as the daffodils stand proud on these chilly March mornings. Well done, everyone!

A New Talk on the Black & White Buildings of Chesterfield


Wednesday 16 March 2016, 7.30pm at the Winding Wheel, Janet Murphy will give a new talk on the  Black & White Buildings of Chesterfield. Adult £7, Concession £5.45

Come and hear how and why they were created – and what their fate is to be. A unique part of Chesterfield’s architectural history




In order to widen Knifesmithgate all the buildings on the north of the road were demolished and new ones built further back. At first sight the range would appear to be one continuous building; however it is several different buildings. The first to be erected was for R.J.Stokes Ltd – the one without a projecting upper floor. Next was the Gas Board Showroom, the building to the right of it. Next came the main entrance to the Victoria which led to the billiard hall on the ground floor and the cinema above. Possibly Greaves furniture store was built at the same time or shortly afterwards. Then came the range of shops on the left, with the restaurant on the floor above and the ballroom on the top floor. Finally the original King’s Head was demolished to make way for a new King’s Head. All the buildings have a colonnade so that shoppers would not get wet when it rained.


The next stage of the street improvements was to extend Knifesmithgate as far as Glumangate, which meant demolishing the buildings in between the two streets with exception of the two buildings which were originally part of T.P.Woods bottling plant. They can be seen on the left; as well as being the only original ones, they are the only ones without a colonnade.


The present building is the remaining two-thirds of a building which was originally built about 1500. Its original use is unknown but it may have been a medieval guildhall. By the 1680s it was the home of two families. From 1800 there was a period of major alterations during which the lost third was demolished. By 1829 part of the building was a public house called the Peacock. About 1880 the building was bought by the local Brampton Brewery and the street frontage was completely remodelled; the timber framing was covered and the ground floor clad with green and cream ceramic tiles.

peacock inn

The Peacock remained open as a public house until 1973 and the following year it was damaged by a fire when the timber framing was revealed once more. The rediscovery of the original building played an important part in the opposition to the planned redevelopment of the town centre which would have resulted in the demolition of the Market Hall and many of the attractive buildings on Low Pavement including the Peacock.