Entertainment & Conference Centre
The Winding Wheel is a Grade II-listed entertainment and conference centre, built in 1923 as a cinema.
The building consists of three rooms: the Auditorium, the Ballroom, and the Function Room. Each of these rooms has its own private bar and catering area. All rooms are fully accessible.
The Winding Wheel was built to the design of Sheffield architect Harold J Shepherd. Originally a cinema called The Picture House, it first opened its doors on 10th September 1923, seating 1,300 and showing a double bill of Heart’s Affair and The Play House starring Buster Keaton. The building was extended in 1930, adding a large ballroom and extra seating. It was in continual use as a cinema until its closure in 1981.
In 1987, Chesterfield Borough Council purchased and refurbished the building, keeping the internal decor intact, but removing the fixed seating and constructing a dance floor above the stalls. The building reopened as the Winding Wheel and was later Grade II-listed in 2000.
Since reopening it has hosted thousands of events, political conferences, wedding receptions, banquets and has been used for many television programmes.
The Winding Wheel
13 Holywell Street
Visit the Winding Wheel website – click here