“This plaque commemorates the ancient Chesterfield market place which has been here for over 800 years and the Victorian Market Hall built in 1857”.
50 years ago both were under threat of redevelopment for a shopping mall. It led to the formation of the Civic Society, which, with others dissuaded the Council from implementing the scheme. Instead, with the help of architects and planners, the Council produced the well-loved conservation led regeneration which we see around us.
50 years later we have one of the country’s best stall markets, an award-winning shopping centre that has stood the test of time and a list Victorian market hall that has further been improved.
That is thanks to a Borough Council which is committed to engage with the community to make Chesterfield a better place to live and work.
The Civic Society and others have worked with the Council on recent improvements to the town centre including the Market Hall. This plaque not only celebrates the history of the market hall and the adjacent market place, but is an affirmation of what can be achieved when we work together.
8 April 2014